Saturday, February 9, 2013

About the Blog

Who I am:  My name is Katherine Nigh and I am assisting on the production of Stand and Deliver at Pomona College.  I am helping the director, the fabulous Alma Martinez, with character development - working with the actors on monologues and scene work.  I have an Andrew W. Mellon Postdoctoral Fellowship and am currently a Professor at Whittier College in Whittier, CA.

How I got involved:  I have had the pleasure of knowing Alma Maritnez over the span of many years.  Alma and I worked together as part of a group focusing on performance and trauma in Buenos Aires, Argentina convening with the Hemispheric Institute of New York University.  We have run into each other over the years and have been bonded by my work with El Teatro Campesino with whom Alma has worked since its beginning years.  In 2010 I flew to Mexico City to see the production of Zoot Suit for which Alma served as the U.S./Mexico Project Coordinator and Dramaturg and where she organized an international conference for the National University of Mexico.  This was an incredible production!!!  Recently I invited Alma to give a presentation at Whittier College about her work with Zoot Suit - the students fell in love with her!!!  She asked me to help out with this production and I said, "Claro que si!!!!"

Why write the blog?:  For me the most exciting part of doing a performance isn't what happens on opening night or the rest of the shows but it is the hard work and growth that takes place during the rehearsal process.  Particularly when working with young, bright and talented young people as we are in this production it is a great opportunity to show all the blood, sweat and tears (aka sacrifice) these young students are giving to be involved in this production.  I also believe that as we continue to struggle in the United States with issues of education, access, funding for education and an unfair difference between what young people have access to in terms of education, culture, opportunities based on where they live and the incomes of their family - this show and its themes are ever important.  This will be more than just a fun show to watch (which it will be) but there is an important message in the play that we all need to be paying attention to.  We hope that you enjoy reading the blog and of course that it will inspire you to come see the show!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment